Clinical Research Networks in Wales
The clinical research infastructure in Wales is provided by the Welsh Government through Health and Care Research Wales (formerly the National Institute for Social Care and Health Research Clincial Research Centre).
Health and Care Research Wales provides an infastructure to support and increase capacity in R&D, runs a range of responsive funding schemes and manages resources to promote, support and deliver research in health and social care. The new infrastructure also allows a sharper focus on Wales’ current and emerging areas of excellence.
- Research Centres – Research Centres have an all-Wales remit to support multi-disciplinary health and social care research teams who have a track record of research excellence, to address areas of public need.
- Research Units – Simliar to the Centres, Research Units will support health and social care research teams to address areas of public need. However, Units will focus on more specific areas of research, such as certain points on the translational spectrum and/or areas of emerging strength in Wales.
- Clinical Trials Units – Clinical Trials Units offer expertise in specialist trial design, conduct and analysis to researchers in Wales and beyond. They facilitate high-quality, timely and succesful trial conduct and ensure that regulatory and governance requirements are met.
- Infrastructure Support Groups – Infrastructure Support Groups offer specialist support to researchers within the Health and Care Research Wales infrastructure. They do this by developing work packages and activities that are both tailored and responsive to te support requirements of other Health and Care Research Wales organisations. Researchers can access support to ensure that their health and social care research is supported by high quality genetics/genomics, health economics and date linkage techniques.
- Support & Delivery – The Support and Delivery infrastructure consists of three parts: the NHS Research and Development (R&D) offices and the Health and Care Research Wales Workforce and Support Centre – who will work in partnership to provide up-to-date advice and a wide range of support services and funding for the promotion and delivery of high-quality commerical and non-commerical research.